A Charming Treasure
A tiny treasure A single stoplight marks the center of this charming community, a close-knit collection of small shops and family-owned businesses. Signs of the past are everywhere, from the tin ceilings at the Antique Mall to the town’s historical museum (open by chance or appointment). Wakarusa hardware has been selling items from its “wall of 1,000 drawers” since 1904. Sweets lovers can choose from hundreds of candies at Wakarusa’s Dime Store, serving customers for 107 years. Special in any season The annual Maple Syrup Festival welcomes spring, Memorial Park’s perennial garden is a popular favorite in the summer and an autumn drive under Waterford Street’s sugar maples leads to the towering Pumpkin Tree.
- Welcome spring with pure maple syrup poured over stacks of hotcakes at the annual Wakarusa Maple Syrup Festival
- Take home a bag of Wakarusa Dime Store's newest giant jellybean flavors – pink grapefruit, pineapple & huckleberry--sweet!
- Grab a stool at Cook's Pizza and order a Stromboli
- Find just what you need from Wakarusa Hardware's wall of 1,000 drawers – it's worked for folks since 1904
- Delve into history at Wakarusa's Historical Museum. Be sure to call ahead.
- Sit down to lunch with the locals at the Corner Café - the Swiss Steak is a house specialty.
Only in Wakarusa
- Step into the turn-of-the-century shop of Yoder Brother's Antiques and browse an enticing collection of glassware, vintage clothing, furniture, or you- name-it
- Relax, revitalize and mingle with butterflies in the peaceful Wakarusa Memorial Park Butterfly Garden
- Have a foot stomping, hand-clapping good time at the Wakarusa Bluegrass Festival held each June
- Mark the seasons in the center of town with The Great Pumpkine Tree each fall and brightly lit Christmas tree in winter.
- Looking for decor to help make your home cozy and inviting? Stop by Schmidt Furniture, Cabinetry & Gifts and chat with Stephen.
- Buy it in bulk at Grandma's Pantry. Anna May makes sure her pantry shelves are filled with all the necessities and more.