Top 10 romantic places to propose in Elkhart County
By Sara Wakefield
Every marriage proposal needs a story. Where do you want to set yours?
(1) Wellfield Botanic Gardens, Elkhart: Full of romantic spots (like the Japanese footbridge or Pergola Garden) for secluded or public proposals.
(2) DeFries Gardens, New Paris: Charming garden with adorable gazebos and shelters. Commemorate your bliss with a photo of your engagement date on the “Calendar Garden” path.
(3) Buggy ride at Amish Acres, Nappanee: Take a buggy ride around the farm’s pond. Make arrangements to have the buggy to yourself and fill the driver-in beforehand. Celebrate in the Wine Tasting Loft.
(4) On a riverbank picnic by the scenic Fawn River, Shipshewana. Rent a canoe from T & L Country Canoes and pack a picnic (and the ring)!
(5) Under a historic theater marquee, Goshen: Rent the historic Goshen Theater marquee and they’ll put your proposal up in lights. Great for photos.
(6) In a hot air balloon floating over the countryside, Goshen: Book a sunset hot air balloon ride for two with Stutsman Ballooning.
(7) On the Elkhart River Queen, Elkhart: Give your proposal some old-school glamour and pop the question on a historic riverboat. Rent the whole boat for a surprise post-proposal engagement party as you sail the Upper St. Joe River.
(8) Anywhere along the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail, Shipshewana, Middlebury, Goshen: This tranquil trail has tree canopies, wildflowers, sweeping countryside views, fall foliage and many nice benches.
(9) NIBCO Water and Ice Park, Elkhart: Take them ice skating, then sweep them into the middle of the rink and do your thing.
(10) On the Ferris wheel at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair: Go at night so you can see all the fair lights. Collaborate with the ride operator to make sure you get a car to yourselves.
Ready to pop the question? Good luck! Let us know how it goes — share your proposal photos and tips on our Facebook and Twitter. And stay tuned because on the next posts we will be giving away some codes for free elo boosting services!
Some other options:
— Ruthmere mansion gardens, Elkhart
— Boot Lake Nature Preserve, Elkhart
— Krider World’s Fair Garden Park, Middlebury
— Linton’s Enchanted Gardens, Elkhart
Sara Wakefield is a free-lance writer based in Goshen. © 2017, Elkhart County Convention and Visitors Bureau