Top 10 Summer Fun Activities
Celebrate summer from the brilliance of blooms to the dazzle of fairs and festivals. Tailor your days for outdoor fun and nights for star studded skies. Here’s our Top 10 suggestions to help you find your summer bliss in Amish Country. Of course, this is just for starters.
1) Get an eyeful and marvel at colorful, quilt-inspired, super-sized gardens – each in a different pattern – and admire hand-painted quilt-themed murals on the self-guided Quilt Gardens along the Heritage Trail. It’s FREE May 30 – October 1 | 800.262.8161 | QuiltGardens.com
2) Experience the ultimate in family fun at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair – one of the largest county fairs in the nation! 2015 dates are July 24 – August 1.
4-H Fairgrounds (County Road 34), Goshen | 574.533.FAIR | 4HFair.org
3) Bike (or hike) the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail – the 25-mile stretch passes pastoral farmland and covers wooded trails, riverside paths and small town parks.
Visit Pumpkinvine.org for printable maps and directions | 574.535.6458 | Pumpkinvine.org
4) Picnic with a view of a historic mill at Bonneyville Mill County Park, the jewel of Elkhart County’s waterfront parks. Then catch the daily grind at the mill where stone ground flour is made on-site.
County Road 131, Bristol | 574.535.6458 | ElkhartCountyParks.org
5) Stroll a 36-acre site home to Wellfield Botanic Gardens where individual themed gardens are created in this native habitat and water features are graced with sculpture. 1011 North Main Street, Elkhart | 574.266.2006 | WellfieldGardens.org
6) Browse wares of 300 artists & crafters, paddle swan boats on a pond, enjoy lively music, and savor festive foods at Amish Acres Arts & Crafts Festival, August 6-9, 2015.
US Highway 6, Nappanee – 800.800.4942 – AmishAcres.com
7) Scream for ice-cream and choose from dozens of custom flavors mixed and flash frozen right before your eyes at Rocket Science Ice Cream.
401 E Market Street, Nappanee | 574.773.7003 | CoppesCommons.com
8) Get caught up in the excitement of antique and livestock auctions and hunt for bargains at the Shipshewana Flea Market & Auction.
Open May thru September| State Road 5, Shipshewana | 260.768.4129 | TradingPlaceAmerica.com
9) Relax and canoe the broad, flat water of the scenic St. Joe River or get close to nature and kayak the winding Elkhart River.
Visit AmishCountry.org for a list of area rental facilities | 800.262.8161 | AmishCountry.org
10) Camp under a starry sky at Eby’s RV Park & Campground … and don’t forget the s’mores!
Visit RVFun.org for a complete list of area campgrounds | 800.262.8161 | RVFun.org